Leica Club Welcome Pack – Digital Leica Q Series Cameras
Hello and welcome to the Leica Club! To help you enjoy your new purchase I’ve listed some information below to get you started and answer some of the common questions I receive.
- Leica Q camera accessories – Top 10
- 11 tips for using your camera
- Leica Q series camera YouTube videos
- Join a Leica community
- Photo editing tips
- Remote Leica support
- Leica photowalks
- Master your Leica
Leica Q series camera accessories – Top 10
After buying your Leica camera there are certain accessories you may want to get. Here are my top 10 –
1. Spare Battery
This is a must have. You can use Leica branded batteries or 3rd party batteries. I use both types.
- Leica Q (same as Leica CL battery) – https://geni.us/lFGJO
- Leica Q2/Q2M (same as Leica SL battery) – https://geni.us/ul6wAAF
2. LCD Screen Protector
3. Soft Release Shutter Button
An affordable way to customise your Leica camera is with a custom shutter release button. I have red buttons on some of my Leica cameras.
- Shutter Release Button – https://geni.us/0VWAevu
4. Strap (Neck Strap and/or Wrist Strap) – See on YouTube
Your Leica camera is supplied with a neck strap. A new strap is another easy way to customise your camera. I use wrist straps for street photography and a neck strap for events. Peak Design products are a popular quick release camera strap system if you use multiple cameras. There are lots of nice luxury cameras straps available too.
5. Thumbs Up Grip Support
Do you need a thumbs up grip support for your Leica? If you use on camera flash or triggers on the hotshoe then I would avoid the thumbs up grip as it blocks the hotshoe. If you use larger heavier lenses then it definitely adds comfort and helps balance the camera.
6. Camera Hand Grip
Leica M cameras are not really designed to fit the hand. If you want a more secure grip and/ or use larger heavier lenses a grip adds comfort and helps balance the camera.
7. Half Case or Camera Bag – See on YouTube
As with camera straps half cases and camera bags are a personal choice. Ona and Billingham are popular brands. This is what I use –
- Billingham Hadley Digital Camera Bag – https://geni.us/UM7ecIz
8. UV Filter
Protect your lens with a high quality UV filter –
- Leica Q/Q2/Q2M – 49mm B+W UV Filter – https://geni.us/2rg9huj
9. Mist Filter
If you want as less digital look and more halation/ blooming around points of light (such as for night photography) try mist filters. There are various option – Pro Mist, Black Mist and Glimmer Glass. The Glimmer Glass filter seems to strike the best balance between retaining image quality and adding some artistic glow to the photos.
- Leica Q/Q2/Q2M – 49mm Tiffen Glimmer Glass Filter – https://geni.us/Rjrn
10. SD Memory Cards
My preferred memory card brand is SanDisk and that is all i’ve used for the last 5-7 years.
- SanDisk Extreme – https://geni.us/JWjEf
11 Tips for using your Leica Q series camera
In addition to carrying a spare battery here are some tips you might find useful –
- To see light better I set the camera to B&W JPEG mode giving a B&W preview (even if capturing DNG only colour files)
- Turn power saving mode on, with auto power off, auto LCD off, for longer battery life (+ autofocus light off, auto review 1sec)
- Find extended shutter speeds up to 1/16000 using the thumbwheel and the top dial set to 1/2000
- Avoid using macro mode in dusty conditions to minimise the risk of transporting dust onto the sensor from the lens barrel
- Tape up your camera red dot logo for a more stealthy street photography setup (Some tape up the speaker and mic ports too for dust)
- Use P-A-S mode to see in the dark, use P-A-S-M mode to preview the correct exposure (P-A-S is good when using flash)
- Turn on your grid in photo live view setup to aid composition
- Turn on your level gauge in photo live view to help ensure your horizon is level
- Setup your favourites menu and FN favourite button with the menu features you use the most
- For precise focusing use 1-point not multi-point and AFs not AFc for static subjects (Half press, then full press to focus)
- Set the diopter for your eyesight. If your vision looks slightly soft focus check the viewfinder diopter dial as it can be knocked easily
Leica Q series camera YouTube videos
If you want to see Leica YouTube reviews from other photographers see the Leica YouTubers directory.
Watch my Leica Q cameras YouTube playlist here –
Join a Leica Community
If you are new to Leica you might want to find a friendly Leica community. You can find Leica groups on Facebook and you can also join our Patreon group where we have a private Facebook group and 2 monthly Zoom calls.
Photo Editing Tips
If you don’t enjoy editing I recommend setting your camera to JPEG mode. JPEG can be posted and shred without any editing. To capture more detail set the camera to DNG. To use DNG files you will first need to process the files via software such as Adobe Lightroom. If you use Lightroom, give your DNG files a finished look in as little as 1-click by applying MrLeica LR Presets (colour and B&W).
Remote Leica Support
Join a small group of fellow Leica photographers for a photowalk workshop with MrLeica.Com.